Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Outsourced Customer Service Blows

Okay, seriously. Tonight I decided to go ahead and finalize cancelling Netscape Internet Service since my cable is now up and working. Obviously I have no use for a dial-up provider when I have the pure greatness of Insight. Anyway, when I tried to get rid of it, the following (more or less) took place when I got ahold of a cancellation person and got past the useless "Identity" info that anyone who knows any small bit of info about me would know, thus making it pointless.

THEM: Sorry to hear you are cancelling, might I ask why?
ME: Well, I got high-speed cable internet, so I don't need dial-up service anymore.
THEM: Oh, well when you had Netscape, did you enjoy the service?
ME: Yeah, it was okay... for dial-up.
THEM: Well, we are sorry to hear you are cancelling, I will go ahead and give you free access through November 11th.
ME: Uh... I won't need it, but after November 11th, it will cancel, right?
THEM: Well, "I" will go ahead and pay for you to have the access till November 11th, and then you will get a letter from Netscape asking if you want to continue or cancel at that time.
ME: Uh, no I want to cancel it right now.
THEM: Well, now are you sure? Cable internet goes out sometimes, and you can use Netscape dial-up as a back up in that case.
ME: I will not be having a phone line, so I won't have any use for it. I would like to cancel now.
THEM: Well, you would still have access to Netscape Member services THROUGH your cable internet connection at the same FAST speed as the rest of your cable internet, without having to have a phone line!(YAY!)
ME: But I don't care, I just want to cancel.
THEM: Well, I will set you up till November 11th for no charge then.
ME: No, I don't want it anymore, cancel it now.
THEM: Okay, are you sure? You will still be charged the full month even though it goes till October 11th. I could leave it going till November 11th at no charge to you, so you get 1 month free!
ME: No, cancel it now.
THEM: Are you sure? I ca..
ME: No, cancel it now.
THEM: Okay, I will cancel it for you now, then.

Then the woman FINALLY said it was cancelled(I think) and that I would receive a letter in the mail in a few weeks confirming the cancellation. I hope it wasn't yet another attempt to keep it going unless I give blood in person and father a child in their presence though.

Moral of the story:
Customer service for EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE sucks. They will not take no for an answer, and waste their and my time for no reason. Bottom line, interrupt the bastards from the get go and just keep saying no no no no until they cry or something.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for putting your foot down! Too bad you can't put it down on their throats or something to keep them from talking and being annoying...

And hooray for cable!

-Erando

Anonymous said...

Unrelated, but about Tivo. This was on /. :http://www.pvrblog.com/pvr/2005/09/tivo_72_os_adds.html

Anonymous said...

That's what happens when you're a reasonably strong-willed, intelligent person. People try to fuck the average homeowner over, and the only reason they keep calling is that apparently they are succeeding at least enough to profit from the constant badgering.

*chit chit chit chit*

Anonymous said...

All customer service people assume you are a brain dead hick from the get go.

The best advice is to aim low and kick hard. If that doesn't work cut them off, demand to speak to their supervisor and then complain about what total douches the original people were.

Speaking of annoyances, telemarketing companies in Illinois can now start calling your cell phone, using your minutes up.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. A while ago when we went to cancel AOL when we got our DSL I went through the same thing. They would not take no for an answer. I think they gave us a free year of service before they finally took no for an answer and cancelled our service. A week later they sent me a free trial disk in the mail. The nerve!

Saegiru said...

Well, you know... being on AOL was bad enough... you almost deserved the punishment for even having it in the first place Amy :)

Anonymous said...

Telemarketers are going to start calling Indiana residents' cel phones soon too. Time to hop on the donotcall.gov list, eh?

Anonymous said...

write something new!!!!!!