Thursday, February 09, 2006

Honestly, Opera... WTF

Okay, I have tried Opera many times in the past... given it so many chances to replace my browsing experience... but it has never stuck. The main reason being, is that no matter what I do, certain pages I go to will NOT work with it. My blog here for example... in Opera, the new technology preview, my flickr badge on the right hand side will not work. It is a simple flash app, and works in Firefox, and IE... but not Opera. That is a small misgiving, but quite a few other pages that I visit have problems with it too... either they display incorrectly, or they give me a message that says "Use a standard browser like Mozilla or IE." I have even tried making Opera identify itself as IE or Mozilla, but still no go. Now honestly, all I want is a browser that can truly replace IE. Firefox comes VERY close, being that it has extensions that allow IE pages to be viewed directly in Firefox if it can't display it correctly. Opera has so many cool features that I like, the full page zoom ability, and the fit to screen width ability, among others... but no matter what I do, there are always pages that can't display correctly inside it, so I have to fall back on Firefox. Why, Opera, why can't you just freaking work!?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean the Flicker banner I was watching and wondering why those pictures were moving while viewing your page in Opera? That banner? ;)

I dunno, for the few pages that render funny or incorrectly, the benefits are so huge that I can't imagine ever using IE or *shudder* Firefox as my primary browser. Of course, I'm also married to the Opera King who can make anything happen...

-Erando

Saegiru said...

Sigh... I assume there is something missing that is making it NOT work... I just don't know what. I have the flash plugin installed, and other flash things work, just not this. It's just frustrating :)

Saegiru said...

Okay... that's weird... I changed absolutely nothing, and the flash app thing is working now. WTF? I think Opera is sentient and likes to fuck with me.

Anonymous said...

THe Flash included with Opera is a point a lot of people bitch about, and a good one to bitch about. Opera prizes itself for being a small download, and along with that download they include some of the more popular third party pluggins like Flash. Well apparentyl, and I don't know how many versions back, the Macromedia people added some semi-useless feature that nearly doubled the size of the pluggin. Not wanting to jump its download size to add something they felt was useless, Opera decided not to include the newer versions. Over and above that, they are working with quite a few companies to get a stadard plugin/extention protocol going that would make it easier for browsers and pluggin makers to get their stuff working without going through hoops for infividual pieces of software. Since they are working on this unified protocol, they work on getting specific pluggins to work is slowing, hence no support for newer versions of some pluggins like Flash.

So yeah, Flash can get insanely frustration in Opera.